28 April 2009

ill ill ill

We arrived in Phom Penh on Monday. We had been out for cocktails the night before for Chris's birthday, and had got the 7.30 bus out of Siem Reap. I was feeling a bit dodgy, but decided it was alcohol mixed with lack of sleep. By around 6 that evening, I thought it was something more, and at around 2 in the morning, I knew it was more. After being in the toilet for a good while (there's no need to relish details here), somewhere between the severe pain and the heat of the windowless bathroom, my eyes blacked out. I fumbled my way back to the bedroom (the bathroom was a shared bathroom, a few metres away from our bedroom), making shakey toddler steps, clinging to the wall. I managed to make it back to our door, and inside and stood there for a minute or so clutching the door-frame, not wanting to lie down but having no idea how to reach my bed or how to negotiate our strewn about luggage. Amy was woken by: "Amy, could you help me back to bed please. I can't see."

According to Amy, I looked blind. She led me to the bed and I promptly smacked my head against the wall as I had no idea which part of the bed she had plonked me down on. I lay down, legs shaking, hands numb, and unable to see. This was when I decided it was more than a hangover.

I had to stay in bed for two whole rubbish days. My biggest activity was walking downstairs to get water. Even this was a mission. Although Hannah lent me her ipod with her audiobooks of Poirot to pass the time. Unfortunately, I found out a few days later that I managed to pick the one story that was incomplete! I don't know who done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment